Places to eat.
It's easy to find somewhere to eat and drink in Alton. If you don't fancy the village offerings, try Rocester, Uttoxeter, Cheadle or have a take-away delivered to you. All the local pubs cater for children.
In Alton Village:
- Blacksmith's Arms: Pub with large restaurant, also does bar food and very child friendly. Try the Children's Italian or Mexican Picnic for originality! 01538 702213. The nearest pub, only ½ mile from cottages.
- The White Hart: pub located in centre of village at top of HIgh Street, by St Peter's Church.01538 703384
- The Bulls Head: Pub with separate restaurant area - only small so gets full quickly. 01538 702307
- The Royal Oak: Pub serving bar food. 01538 702625
- The Ramblers Retreat: Award winning tea shop in Dimmingsdale, open during the day for lunches and afternoon teas. Open Friday and Saturday evenings in summer. 01538 702730
- Alton Bridge Hotel:01538 703088
- The Raddle Inn, Quarry Bank, Hollington ST10 4HQ (01889-507278) The olde worlde country inn and restaurant is nestled in a bank overlooking Croxden Abbey and the surrounding countryside. Beer garden with play area. Plenty of space for children to play. A couple of miles from Lower Micklin Farm, signposted on Cheadle Road out of village.
In Denstone Village:
- Denstone Farm Shop: Open Monday - Sunday. Award winning Cafe - breakfast, lunches and afternoon teas.
- The Tavern: Traditional pub with restaurant area in centre of Denstone village. Stone-fired pizzas and Fish and Chips to take away. Sunday Carvery - bookings recommended. 01889 590847
- Indian Restaurant: 01889 591931
- Red Lion - Pub serving food 01889 591892
- Fish and Chip shop - also serving kebabs.
- Cheadle Chinese Take Away and Restaurant (01538755000) 2 High Street, Cheadle, ST10 1AF
- The Pearl Dragon Chinese Take Away (01538 754203)
- Cafe Rumi Indian restaurant and Take Away (01538 751786) 12 High Street, Cheadle, ST10 1AF
- Cheadle Kebab and Pizza House (01538 754666) 44 Chapel Street, Cheadle, ST10 1DY
- The Master Potter Public House (01538 753196) Tean Road, Cheadle, ST10 1LW. A member of the Hungry Horse pub chain. Good value and good beer.
- The Wheatsheaf Hotel, 53 High Street. Cheadle. Staffordshire. ST10 1AR. Phone. 01538 758310. Wetherspoon chain.
In the nearby towns of Uttoxeter and Ashbourne there are a variety of restaurants and take aways.
- McDonalds, KFC and Frankie and Bennys.
Shops in Ashbourne
The nearest shops are in Alton village and are about 1/2 mile away. In the village you will find:
- Londis - convenience store, newsagents, off licence, video hire, cash machine etc.
- Post Office - stationery, some bank facilities, newspapers etc.
- Byatts - Ceramic tile shop!
- The Old Stables - ladies and gents hairdressing by appointment only. Some beauty treatments also available
The nearest large petrol station is in Uttoxeter.
The nearest supermarkets are a small Morrisons and ASDA in Cheadle about 5 miles away. A larger Tesco and Lidl are in Uttoxeter about 7 miles away or Marks and Spencer Simply Food, Sainsbury, Waitrose and Co-Operative along with a variety of smaller shops in Ashbourne about 9 miles away.
The market towns of Cheadle (5 miles), Uttoxeter (7 miles) and Ashbourne (9 miles) can provide most of your needs. Shopping centres are available at Stoke (The Potteries) and Derby (Westfield)
Trentham Gardens in Stoke has a retail outlet village.