Places to eat.
It's easy to find somewhere to eat and drink in Alton. If you don't fancy the village offerings, try Rocester, Uttoxeter, Cheadle or have a take-away delivered to you. All the local pubs cater for children.
In Alton Village:
- Blacksmith's Arms ST10 4AZ: Pub with large restaurant, also does bar food and very child friendly. Try the Children's Italian Picnic for originality! 01538 702213 / 01538 702111. The nearest pub only ½ mile from cottages. Dog friendly in bar area. https://www.blacksmitharmsalton.com/
- The White Hart Community Pub and Thai Restaurant (Thurs, Fri and Sat only) ST10 4AQ: 01538 703384 Dog friendly in bar area www.altonwhitehart.co.uk
- The Bulls Head ST10 4AQ: Newly refurbished and reopened Pub in the centre of the village. 01538 702307 .https://www.thebullsheadalton.com/
- The Ramblers Retreat ST10 4BU: Award winning tea shop only open during the daytime Tuesday to Sunday, great for lunches and afternoon teas, in Dimmingsdale. Dog friendly in outside seating areas 01538 702730 https://www.ramblersretreat.co.uk/
- The Talbot Inn ST10 4BX: Traditional drinking pub with great atmosphere. Adjacent to Alton Bridge Hotel which is owned by same people and will serve food if required. https://www.facebook.com/talbotinnalton/
- Alton Bridge Hotel ST10 4BX: Country Pub, Restaurant and Riverside Beer Garden. Food is served all day every day from 12am – 9pm Dog friendly in outside seating areas. 01538 703088 http://www.altonbridgehotel.co.uk/
- The Raddle Inn, Quarry Bank, Hollington ST10 4HQ (01889-507278) raddleinn.com The olde worlde country inn and restaurant is nestled in a bank overlooking Croxden Abbey and the surrounding countryside. Beer garden with play area. Plenty of space for children to play. A couple of miles from Lower Micklin Farm. https://raddleinn.com/
In Denstone Village:
- Denstone Hall Farm Shop and Cafe ST14 5HF. Selling a wide range of local farm produce and meat. It also has a very popular cafe serving breakfast, lunches and afternoon teas. Dog friendly in outside seating areas 01889590050 www.denstonehall.co.uk
- The Tavern ST14 5HR: Traditional pub with restaurant area. Dog friendly in outside seating areas Sunday Carvery. - bookings advised. 01889 590847 www.thetaverndenstone.co.uk
- Panacea Premier Indian Dining ST14 5JU 01889 590169
- Red Lion ST14 5LF - Pub 01889 595177
- Fish and Chips / Kebabs (Take away) ST14 5JU 01889 590993
In the nearby towns of Uttoxeter, Cheadle and Ashbourne there are a variety of restaurants and take aways that will deliver to Lower Micklin.
- The Mughal Balti Cheadle ST10 1AF themughalbalti.co.uk 01538 755438
- The Pearl Dragon Chinese Take Away ST10 1HU 01538 754203
- Cafe Rumi Indian restaurant and Take Away 01538 751786 12 High Street, Cheadle, ST10 1AF
- Cheadle Kebab and Pizza House 01538 754666 44 Chapel Street, Cheadle, ST10 1DY
- Hong Tai Takeaway ST10 www.hongtai.co.uk 1AF 01538 755688
- Frankie and Bennys 01889 598690
- MacDonalds 01889 568641
- KFC 01889 563 818
Shops in Ashbourne
The nearest shops are in Alton village and are about 1/2 mile away. In the village you will find:
- Londis - convenience store, newsagents, off licence, video hire, cash machine etc.
- Post Office - stationery, some bank facilities, newspapers etc.
- Byatts - Ceramic tile shop!
- The Old Stables - ladies and gents hairdressing by appointment only. Some beauty treatments also available
The nearest large petrol station is in Uttoxeter.
The nearest supermarkets are a small Morrisons and ASDA in Cheadle about 5 miles away. A larger Tesco and Lidl are in Uttoxeter about 7 miles away or Marks and Spencer Simply Food, Sainsbury, Waitrose and Co-Operative along with a variety of smaller shops in Ashbourne about 9 miles away.
The market towns of Cheadle (5 miles), Uttoxeter (7 miles) and Ashbourne (9 miles) can provide most of your needs. Shopping centres are available at Stoke (The Potteries) and Derby (Westfield)
Trentham Gardens in Stoke has a retail outlet village.